No one wants to go to the grocery store…
It’s the weekend again. We love our time off right? But with that time off comes some responsibility too. The week-end is my time to recharge and to organize for the week. Among other things that includes going to the grocery store. Not my favorite chore however I know how key it is to a smoother week ahead.
Because I don’t like to go to the grocery store, I prefer to keep my trip to once a week. If I actually pull that off, it does help keep costs down and saves me time.
I thought I would share some of my tips on how to pull off the once a week grocery trip. The following is what I will do pre-grocery store:
- First I gather my supplies: a used blank back envelope, pen, a dry erase board with dry erase pen, and recipes (insert picture)
- Next I will add items I know we are out of or items we always need such as lettuce, bananas, apples, cat food, milk to my blank envelope.
- What’s for dinner? Now I will spend time reviewing our evening schedules to try to nail down which nights will be easy to make dinner, which nights will be a challenge and which nights we definitely need to eat out or leftovers. This is how I determine what’s for dinner each night, will it be a quick crock-pot meal or will I have time to prep and cook? Depending on the timing I will find an appropriate recipe. I also ask my husband and son if they have any requests or suggestions for dinners. Or look for what’s on sale or in season to help guide these choices.
- Next I will review the recipe for each dinner and then place all of the ingredients that I don’t have in the house on my grocery list.
- To complete my grocery list I will think about breakfasts, lunches and snacks and add those needed items on the envelope.
- Grab the coupons and it’s off to the store.
If I go through these steps I find, my time at the grocery store is very quick and efficient. That makes that trip to the grocery store that I don’t want to do become something bearable. I hope you find that too!